Baked Chicken Quarters with Citrus Mustard Sauce ~ Fall Off The Bone Delicious ~ With Italian Zucchini Noodles
My timing for our next appointment was off, so although they were ready, and my taste buds were salivating, we had to leave! Drats! Delayed gratification! I kept them covered, turned down the heat as low as possible ~ 170 degrees for our oven ~ and let them slow roast another 2 hours.
The result was fall off the bone tender and delicious Baked Chicken Quarters with a nice Herbed Citrus Mustard Sauce. Great with the Italian Zucchini ‘Noodles’ ~ especially for those desiring either a low-carb &/or grain or gluten-free meal.
These Citrus Mustard Baked Chicken Quarters with Italian Zucchini Noodles is classic Meats & Sweets fare ~ meats paired with fruit and a hint of sweet. And as a reminder, we classify summer and winter squash ~ including zucchini ~ and tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers as fruits because botanically speaking, they are
The chicken quarters can be baked while still semi frozen so no worries if they are not totally thawed. Just allow extra time for cooking, and either start roasting uncovered at a higher temperature, then cover and turn it lower, or vice versa.
The ingredient amounts are estimates. Adjust as desired.
Baked Chicken Quarters With Citrus Mustard Sauce
- 4 Chicken Quarters
- Salt, garlic salt, dried parsley and oregano or Italian herbs
- A few thin pats of butter for baking &/or ~ 1/4 cup apple juice or cider
Citrus Mustard Sauce
- Juice of 1-2 lemons or a small orange
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 2-3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil or a blend
- 1-2 tsp honey or real maple syrup
- 1/2-1 tsp sweet yellow curry powder
- Pinch or two of salt
|Low-Carb, Grain & Gluten-free Italian Zucchini Noodles|
Italian Zucchini ‘Noodles’
- 2 Large zucchini ~ cut lengthwise in narrow strips or create more noodle shape using a Spiralizer or mandolin grater
- Splash of water
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Dried Italian herbs or oregano or fresh basil, thin sliced
- Cherry or grape tomatoes cut in halves or quarters
- 2-3 Tbsp grated parmigiana